Friday 29th May at 10am
- An ovenproof dish
- A large frying pan
- Chopping board
- A good knife
2 celery sticks
1 tablespoon of capers
1 tablespoon of raisins
1 tablespoon of pine nuts (kernals)
200 gr of ripe tomatoes
1 teaspoon of concentrated tomato paste
½ glass of wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon of sugar
10 ml Extra virgin olive oil or rapeseed oil
Oregano fresh or dry
A small bunch of fresh mint (optional)
Salt and pepper
BEFORE THE EVENT
- Dice the aubergine, place it in a colander, sprinkle it with salt and leave it for 30 minutes to release its bitter liquid. Rinse after 30 minutes.
- Soften the raisins in a cup of warm water
- Scald / blanche the tomatoes in boiling water, drain, peel and seed them. Dice the tomatoes and put them aside. Alternatively, use tinned chopped tomatoes.
Method on the day
Pre-heat the oven to 180C°
- Wash the capers and squeeze them gently
- Chop the onions finely
- Dice the rest of the vegetable being careful to remove the seeds and filaments from the pepper
- In a large fry pan sweat the onion in oil; add tomato paste and stir it for 1 minutes. Then add carrots, celery, peppers, capers, pine kernels and the raisins drained and squeezed. Cook them for 10/15 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, salt pepper and oregano and stir until the ingredient are perfectly mixed.
- Pour this mixture in an ovenproof dish previously brushed with oil, then add a glass of water and the remaining oil. Place the dish in a preheated oven at 180 C° and cook it for 40 minutes.
- In a bowl mix vinegar with sugar until this is dissolved and pour it 5 minutes before removing the dish from the oven.
- Sprinkle chopped fresh mint
This dish can be eaten hot, warm or cold.