Friday 7th August at 4pm
Salmon in citrus sauce is an inviting and tasty recipe which mixes the freshness of the fish with Mediterranean flavours. To obtain an intense and fragrant result, we will marinate the fillets in orange and lemon juice, enriched with grated zests of oranges, lemons and fresh ginger. To smooth the acidity of the lemons we will cook the marinated salmon fillets with honey. This combination will create a delicious citrus sauce.
We will serve the salmon with basmati rice flavoured with lime and fresh coriander, and serve it with green beans in sauce vinaigrette
- Large frying pan
- 2 or 3 sauce pans
- Colander or sieve
- Fine grater
- Juicer (optional)
Ingredients for salmon element (for 4 people)
- 4 Scottish salmon fillets (buy one with skin on one side for better cooking)
- 2 Lemons
- 5 Oranges
- 1 large shallot or 2 small shallots
- 50 grams butter
- 10 grams honey
- Fresh ginger
- Salt and white pepper
Chef Lucia Ortisi will take you through this process on the day, but it’s below if you want to follow it
Method for the salmon element
- Start by marinating the salmon. With a juicer squeeze the oranges and lemons. Strain the juice with a fine colander to eliminate seeds and pulp. Pour the juice into a large oven dish or tray and place the salmon fillets in it. Add on top some grated fresh ginger, grated orange peel and grated lemon peel, along with some salt and white pepper.
- Cover the tray with a foil and leave it marinating for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- Finely chop the shallots. Place the butter in a frying pan with the chopped shallot and sauté it for a few minutes, then add the honey and one half of the marinade.
- Transfer the fillets into the frying pan with the skin on the bottom of the pan. Cook them for 5 minutes on moderate heat, then turn them over and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn over the salmon fillets onto the skin side once more, increase the flame and pour over the rest of the marinade. Let the sauce reduce for a few minutes, taking care not to overcook the fish.
Ingredients for the rice element
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1.5 cups of basmati rice rinsed and drained
- 3 large cups of boiling water (or twice as much water as your chosen portion of rice)
- 1 juice of a lime and the lime zest
- Large handful of fresh coriander
Ingredients for the vinaigrette
The most basic recipe for making a sauce vinaigrette is one part white wine vinegar with three to four parts of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. However, as an alternative you could use one tablespoon of cider vinegar and three tablespoons of seed oil. Or you could make a big batch of dressing and use 1/4 cup of vinegar mixed with 3/4 cups of oil. The ratio stays the same, whatever specific ingredients or quantities you use.
Oil and vinegar are the base of the vinaigrette, but it can be enhanced with a spoon of mustard or you can replace the salt with miso. Herbs give vinaigrette a punch of freshness and minced garlic or shallot add pungency. Finally, if you like a bit of sweetness, add some honey or agave syrup.